Applications are open for young researchers from Developing countries for the 2020/2021 TWAS-CSIR postgraduate fellowship programme.For young scientists from developing countries (other than India) who wish to pursue postgraduate research in emerging areas in science and technology for which facilities are available in laboratories and institutes of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India.
Topics we covered
TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India and TWAS have established a number of fellowships for foreign scholars from developing countries who wish to pursue research toward a PhD in emerging areas of science and technology for which facilities are available in the laboratories and institutes of the CSIR.
TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Eligibility
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s degree in science and technology.
- Be regularly employed in their home country and hold a research assignment there.
- SANDWICH Fellowships: Be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships: Be willing to register at a university in India within the first year, if agreed to by CSIR.
- Be accepted at a CSIR laboratory/institution and provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (see sample Acceptance Letter included in the Application Form). NB: Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen CSIR host institution(s), with copy to the CSIR contact person. This will allow CSIR to monitor requests and offer support or assistance in finding suitable host institution(s), if necessary;
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Eligible Field of Study:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
Value of Fellowship
CSIR will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, Fellowship awardees are entitled to subsidized accommodation.
How to Apply for TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship
- If already registered for a PhD in their home country, applicants should ensure that the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar of the HOME university signs a copy of the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” (see sample included in the Application Form), a copy of which should be sent to both CSIR and TWAS.
- Applicants should submit the acceptance letter from a CSIR institution to CSIR and TWAS when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applications for the TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted to TWAS via the online portal and copy of the submitted application must be sent to CSIR by email. A tutorial on how to use the online application form is available below for download.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
For more information, visit the TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship.